Cork killer rapist released and living in Limerick


by Andrew Carey

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter


THE convicted killer and rapist who attacked Limerick gangster Ger Dundon in Wheatfield Prison, is now living in Limerick with his girlfriend – just yards from Dundon’s home on Hyde Road.

29-year-old Ian Horgan, originally from Ballincollig, Cork, was released from prison last week after he was sentenced to 16 years in prison for rape, manslaughter and robbery of a young woman in 2000.

Rachel Kiely (22) was a beautician and neighbour of Horgan when he raped and strangled her when he was just 16 years old. Her body was found dumped in Regional Park in Ballincollig on the outskirts of Cork city after he attacked and killed her while she was out walking her dog.

Last March, Horgan attacked Ger Dundon in prison and, according to prison sources, left the Limerick convict “beaten to a pulp”.

Dundon, who is serving five years for violent disorder, was involved in fight with Horgan after the Limerick mobster threatened the Cork man’s girlfriend.

Prison officers intervened and the 25-year-old Limerick gang memner was hospitalised for a number of days after the savage beating.

The incident is believed to be connected with Dundon’s breakup with the mother of his three children, April Collins and her new relationship with Cratloe gang rapist, Thomas O’Neill.

O’Neill’s sister had been visiting Horgan for a number of months while he was in prison and it is understood he is now living with her in Limerick.

Ger Dundon had been previously attacked in prison with ‘shivs’ or makeshift knives as fellow inmates were said to be rebelling against Dundon’s threats and intimidation.

This Monday, Dundon, who is believed to be one the senior figures in the infamous McCarthy Dundon gang, lost his appeal against the five year prison term that he is currently serving.

In February 2011, Dundon was jailed for five years at the Special Criminal Court for violent disorder in Garryowen.

The court of criminal appeal dismissed his application against the severity of the sentence and Dundon was returned to prison. With remission, he could be due for release as early as next February.