An Garda Síochána has commenced Operation ‘Open City’ to facilitate the movement of Public Transport and minimise traffic disruption to the general public, through high visibility and enforcement activity’ which will continue until Christmas Eve in Limerick.
Operation ‘Open City’ involves a multi-agency approach between An Garda Síochána, The National Transport Authority, Local Authorities and transport providers.
‘Open City’ is a high visibility enforcement operation with Gardaí patrolling major arterial routes and link roads during core commuter hours.
There will also be a particular focus on traffic management issues around car parks at major shopping areas. During the operation enhanced communication will be provided to the public by An Garda Síochána and relevant stakeholders through the use of social media (@GardaTraffic), websites, smartphone apps and roadside variable message signs.
Safety advice during Christmas
• Be careful when withdrawing money from cash machines and financial institutions.
• Mind your belongings when in crowded areas. Use a handbag or shoulder bag that can be held securely.
• Don’t leave bags or valuables visible inside a parked cars.
• Park your car in a controlled car park and retain the parking ticket on your person.
• Always lock your car securely when leaving it unattended, even for brief period.
• Report any incident to Gardaí, immediately.