REPORT: Limerick make it back to back Munster Minor titles


DIARMUID Mullins’ Limerick side made it back to back Munster minor titles as they beat Tipperary 2-22 to 0-25 after extra time in the LIT Gaelic Grounds today.

Jack Leamy opened the scoring with a free inside 10 seconds with Sean Kenneally doubling the lead in the fifth minute.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

Leary’s second free pushed Tipp three clear before Shane O’Brien opened Limerick’s account after 7 minutes.

Peter MCGarry got a great score to further Tipp’s lead but two on the bounce from a Liam Lynch free and a second for O’Brien brought Limerick to within one after 10.

That would be the final score before the water break with Tipp leading 0-4 to 0-3.

Limerick hit the ground running after the restart as John Kirby and O’Brien gave them the lead.

Then Patrick O’Donovan expertly finished to the net to push Limerick 1-5 to 0-4 ahead after 17.

Tony Cahill stopped the run of Limerick scores before Lynch replied with a free.

Jack Leamy brought it back to three with a free with David Fogarty further reducing the deficit.

Adam English would get on the scoresheet after 28 with Lynch adding a free shortly after.

Kenneally’s second was then cancelled out by a Lynch free.

A Leamy free and a 65’ from MCGarry would leave it 1-9 to 0-10 in Limerick’s favour at half time.

Cahill brought it back to one with the first score of the second half but Lynch was on hand with a free again.

The sides would exchange the next four scores with Lynch bagging a pair of frees.

Three in a row prior to the final water break would give Tipp a slender 0-16 to 1-12 lead.

Luke Shanahan gave Tipp a two point lead with 10 to play before English replied with his second of the afternoon.

Leamy gave Tipp a two point lead with 5 to play from a free.

Substitute Eoin Harmon would grab Limerick’s second goal with his first touch from play in the 57th minute as they moved one in front.

Leamy levelled but Patrick O’Donovan pulled Limerick ahead once more.

Kenny Lee would have the final say as his score brought proceedings to extra time.

Shane O’Brien drew first blood in ET before English followed with a sublime score.

Lynch made it a three point game with a free on 65 minutes before English extended the advantage.

Leamy would reply for Tipp but Lynch was on hand with a pair of long range frees to pull Limerick five ahead.

Shanahan got his second from wing back but Tipp but English’s 5th gave the Shannonsiders a 2-21 to 0-22 lead at the half.

Immediately after the restart, Tipp would hit the post but scored a point from the resulting 65’.

It would be six more minutes for the next score but it would come from Limerick sub Josh Keating.

McGarry replied with his third 65’ and Leamy made it a three point game in injury time.

But Limerick would hold fire to retain their crown.

The post REPORT: Limerick make it back to back Munster Minor titles appeared first on Sporting Limerick.