Throwback: Contrasting National League starts for the footballers six years apart & Kilmallock reach All-Ireland final


February 7

On this day five years ago, the Limerick footballers lost their second game in the NFL to Longford with Mickey Ned O’Sullivan’s side winning their opener against London six years previously.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

In 2015, Kilmallock reached their third ever All-Ireland Club Hurling Championship final as they beat Portaferry.


John Brudair’s Limerick footballers were on the wrong side of a 0-13 to 1-8 scoreline against Longford in the second round of the National Football League.

Following on from the draw against Tipperary in Division 3 a week earlier, the hosts had two points to spare in Pearse Park.

Thomas Lee had the games only goal with Ian Ryan adding a further five on the day.

It would be the Leinster’s side superior spread of scorers that would prove the difference with eight different men getting on the scoresheet over the 70 minutes.

The game started a six match losing streak that saw Limerick relegated to the bottom tier from which they wouldn’t gain promotion from until 2020.


After an epic 2014 campaign that saw them dethrone Munster champions Na Piarsaigh in Limerick and then Cartloe in Munster, Kilmallock reached their third ever All-Ireland final with a 2-19 to 0-12 win over Portaferry in Mullingar.

The Limerick kingpins got off to a flyer with Paddy O’Loughlin goaling after just three minutes in Cusack Park.

AIB GAA Hurling All Ireland Senior Club Championship Final 17/3/2015
Paddy O’Loughlin
Mandatory Credit ©INPHO/Cathal Noonan

Their early dominance saw them move into a 1-4 to 0-1 lead against the Ulster champions.

But the men from Down rallied and the gap was five at 1-8 to 0-6 at the short whistle.

The sides exchanged scores to start the second before six unanswered from Kilmallock pulled them into an unassailable lead.

Graeme Mulcahy put the game to bed with twenty to play as he struck the Balbec’s second.

In the end the margin was thirteen as Kilmallock moved into a St Patrick’s Day final with Ballyhale Shamrocks.


The Limerick footballers kickstarted their bid for promotion with a 0-17 to 1-4 win over London in Ruislip.

The hosts were the quickest off the blocks and future Limerick player, Killian Phair would grab the games only goal early on as London took an early lead.

However, lead by Ian Ryan and James Ryan, Limerick regrouped and ran out comfortable winners in the end.

That duo combined for 0-10 with Ian grabbing six and his namesake James getting 0-4.

Seven other Limerick players would get on the scoresheet in London including half-back duo Stephen Lavin and Johnny McCarthy as O’Sullivan’s side laid out their intentions for the year.

They would eventually earn promotion to Division 3 and reach the Munster final later that year.

4 July 2010; Limerick’s Ger Collins, second from right, keeps warm as the team wait to be greeted by President Mary McAleese. Munster GAA Football Senior Championship Final, Kerry v Limerick, Fitzgerald Stadium, Killarney, Co. Kerry. Picture credit: Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE

The post On This Day: Contrasting National League starts for the footballers six years apart & Kilmallock reach All-Ireland final appeared first on Sporting Limerick.