On This Day: U20 Footballers advance in Munster QF as Hurlers pick up wins in 2017 and 2011


February 19

This day last year the Limerick U20 footballers overcame Tipperary in the Munster quarter-final, while the senior hurlers picked up league wins over Kerry and Westmeth in 2017 and 2011 respectively.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter


Limerick overcame Tipperary 0-7 to 0-6 in a dramatic encounter in the Munster U20 quarter-final in Mick Neville Park with Barry Coleman kicking a last minute winner.

Tipp had the first two scores of the night before James Cummins got Limerick off the board.

Tipp restored the advantage but Eoin O’Mahony’s mark reduced the half-time deficit to just a point.

After a dull first half for Limerick, they stormed out of the blocks in the second half to tag on four successive points to take a 0-6 to 0-3 lead into the final ten minutes.

But the visitors replied with three unanswered to leave it level in injury time before Coleman popped up with a last hour score to ensure Limerick’s progress to the semi-finals.


Limerick were comfortable 6-21 to 3-8 winners over Kerry in the second round of the National Hurling League in the Gaelic Grounds.

It was John Kiely’s first League win in charge of Limerick as Ronan Lynch bagged an impressive haul of 3-11.

Limerick were 0-7 to 1-1 to the good midway through the first half before Padraig Boyle got his second for the kingdom to bring the sides level.

But Limerick would outscore Kerry 2-6 to 0-2 in the remainder of the half with Graeme Mulcahy and Tom Morrissey grabbing the goals to give them a 2-13 to 2-3 lead at the interval.

Lynch got the first of his hat trick from a 20m free before adding his second 17 minute later.

Patrickswell’s Kevin O’Brien had Limerick’s fifth of the day with ten minutes to go with his first touch of the day with Lynch rounding off his goalscoring in the 67th minute.

In the end, the margin was 22 as Limerick bounced back from the opening day defeat to Galway.


Donal O’Grady’s Limerick made it two from two with a 1-20 to 0-15 win over Westmeath in the Gaelic Grounds.

The home side raced into a 0-5 to 0-2 after eight minutes lead but the Leinster men were soon level with three on the trot.

Limerick held a slender 0-12 to 0-9 advantage at the break.

But four minutes after his introduction as a half time sub, Pat Tobin had the games’ only goal as he finished after being sent through by Kevin Downes.

Limerick would maintain the lead until the finish to keep their place at the summit of the Division 1B table.

The post On This Day: U20 Footballers advance in Munster QF as Hurlers pick up wins in 2017 and 2011 appeared first on Sporting Limerick.