On This Day: Mary I claim maiden Fitzgibbon Cup, Ardscoil Rís retain Harty Cup & More!


February 27

On this day five years ago, Mary I picked up a first ever Fitzgibbon title as they beat neighbours UL in the final. In 2011 Ardscoil Rís retained their Harty Cup title.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

However, there were losses for the footballers in 2011 and the hurlers in 2010.


Mary I claimed a first ever Fitzgibbon cup title as they outlasted UL 1-30 to 3-22 after two periods of extra-time in an absorbing encounter.

Richie English captained the teacher training college to their maiden title while fellow county men, Declan Hannon, Cian Lynch, Darragh O’Donovan and David Reidy featured.

For UL, Tom Morrissey and Kevin O’Brien started with Gearoid Hegarty, Mike Casey and Pat Ryan introduced from the bench.

UL took the lead inside a minute with Tom Morrissey goaling in Bishopstown. Mary I’s answer was four successive scores as the sides were level six times in the opening half.

At the interval it was all square at 1-6 to 0-9.

Declan Hannon had Mary I ahead quickly after the restart with a goal but UL would reply with a three-pointer from John McGrath.

Nonetheless, Mary I were able to stretch their lead to four approaching the final whistle. Yet, McGrath was on hand with his second goal and a point from Tommy Heffernan sent the game to extra-time.

David Reidy started the scoring for Mary I as the sides exchanged 11 scores in the first period of extra-time with UL leading by a point, 3-18 to 1-23.

But Mary I dominated the second period and held a two-point lead late on before Heffernan and McGrath sent it to another ten minutes of extra-time with the sides deadlocked at 1-27 to 3-21 after 80 minutes.

Lynch and Heffernan traded scores with the teams still deadlocked at 1-28 to 3-22 on 85.

But Lynch and Darragh O’Donovan would have the final say as Mary I held on for a famous two-point win for Eamonn Cregan’s men.

Declan Hannon finished the game as MOTM as he contributed 1-12. Cian Lynch had 0-5 while Darragh O’Donovan and David Reidy hit 0-3 apiece. For UL, Tom Morrissey bagged 1-1.

27 February 2016; Joint captains Darragh Corry, left, and Richie English, right, Mary Immaculate College Limerick, lift the cup after the game. Independent.ie Fitzgibbon Cup Final, Mary Immaculate College Limerick v University of Limerick, Cork IT, Cork. Picture credit: Eóin Noonan / SPORTSFILE


Ardscoil Rís retained their Harty Cup crown with a comprehensive 3-19 to 0-3 win over Charleville in the Gaelic Grounds.

After needing three games to win a maiden title in 2010, the city school put their visitors to the sword to retain their trophy.

Inside 40 seconds, Ardscoil had the sliotar in the net with Kevin O’Brien assisting John Fitzgibbon to lash home.

Charleville replied with a score three minutes later but the champions quickly hit back with 11 unanswered points to assert their dominance.

On 30 minutes, they grabbed their second goal of the game as O’Brien and Fitzgibbon swapped roles with the former getting the goal.

Charleville had the final sore of the half but their position was perilous as they trailed 2-11 to 0-2.

After doing the lions share of work in the first half, Ardscoil cruised to the title in the second period as Oisin Hickey added the gloss with their final goal on 54 minutes.

Declan Hannon and Shane Dowling captained the side that introduced a 15-year-old Cian Lynch in the final 10 minutes.

27 February 2011; Ardscoil Rís joint captains Declan Hannon, left, and Shane Dowling with manager Niall Moran after victory over Charleville CBS. Dr. Harty Cup Final, Ardscoil Ris v Charleville CBS, Gaelic Grounds, Limerick. Picture credit: Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE

Meanwhile, the Limerick footballers fell to a third successive defeat in Division 3 of the National League as they lost out, 2-10 to 1-12 against Offaly in Newcastle West.

After losing out to Tipperary and Waterford in their first two games back in Division 3, Maurice Horan’s side were defeated by a point by the Faithful county.

Limerick would gain their revenge later that summer as they overcame the Leinster side 3-13 to 0-15 in the Qualifiers.


Limerick fell to a second consecutive League loss against Cork, losing out 1-14 to 2-21 to the Leesiders in the Gaelic Grounds.

Michael Cussen would prove the difference for Cork as he hit 1-5 from play. His third minute goal set out Cork’s stall as they led 1-10 to 0-7 at the break.

Thomas O’Brien gave the hosts some hope with his goal in the 48th minute but it counted for little when Cian McCarthy crashed home Cork’s second in the closing stages.

With so many of Limerick’s regular faces withdrawing themselves from the panel, 2010 would be a difficult year for the Treaty hurlers as they lost all of their competitive games.

The post On This Day: Mary I claim maiden Fitzgibbon Cup, Ardscoil Rís retain Harty Cup & More! appeared first on Sporting Limerick.