On This Day: Footballers and Hurlers in 2020 action and More!


ON this day last year, the Limerick hurlers made it four from four in the League with a win over Westmeath while the footballers fell to their first loss of the season against Antrim.

In 2015, the footballers fell to Armagh in the League while the hurlers had a narrow win over Dublin in 09′.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter


John Kiely’s hurlers mainatined their 100% league record with a 1-24 to 0-18 win over Westmeath in the LIT Gaelic Grounds.

Limerick went nine clear early on as the Leinster side didn’t get off the mark until the 18th minute.

David Reidy was firing on all cylinders in the first half and had eight of Limerick’s 0-15 as the Treaty led by nine at the interval.

But, Limerick tired in the second half and Westmeath seized the initiative.

Limerick’s gap was down to four closing in on stoppage time but David Dempsey was on hand with a goal in the 69th minute to sea the win for Kiely and co.

On the same day, Billy Lee’s footballers fell to a first defeat of the season as they lost out 2-27 to 1-12 against Antrim in Portglenone.

A powerful second half performance from the Northern side would prove crucial as they overturned a two point half time deficit.

After exchanging points to begin the contest, Limerick struck the first goal after seven minutes with Padraig Scanlon firing to the net after Danny Neville’s shot was saved.

But Antrim replied with a brace into the teeth of a strong wind.

Yet, Limerick never trailed in the first half and took a 1-9 to 0-10 lead into the dressing rooms.

Upon the restart, Antrim would dominate and they outscored Limerick 2-6 to 0-2 in the first twenty minutes of the second period to take control of proceedings.

Limerick only had one more score in the final quarter of an hour as Antrim strolled to a comprehensive win.

This was to be Limerick’s last game in front of spectators and final game for 231 days.

18 October 2020; Iain Corbett of Limerick during the Allianz Football League Division 4 Round 6 match between Limerick and Wexford at Mick Neville Park in Rathkeale, Limerick. Photo by Eóin Noonan/Sportsfile


The Limerick footballers fell to a second consecutive defeat as they lost out 2-16 to 1-6 against Armagh in Kilmallock in the third round of the National League.

Despite facing into a stiff breeze, Armagh opened up an early lead with Aidan Forker netting on 11 minutes.

Limerick wouldn’t get off the mark until the 19th minute with Cillian Fahy grabbing a point. Tom Lee got the Shannonsiders’ goal prior to the break but Antrim had a 1-6 to 1-3 lead at the short whistle.

Limerick would only muster three scores in the entirety of the second period with Antim cruising to the 13-point win.

Mark Shields goal on 49 minutes put daylight between the sides with the score 2-10 to 1-4 and from her they eased to victory.


Limerick got a valuable 1-11 to 0-12 win over Dublin in Round 3 of the National Hurling League in the Gaelic Grounds.

Heading into the game, Dublin had one their first two while Limerick had a 50% record from the opening rounds.

In a low scoring affair, the sides were deadlocked at 0-6 at the break.

The decisive moment of the game would occur just a couple of minutes into the second half with Niall Moran pouncing on Alan Nolan’s mistake for the games only goal.

Dublin had the next four scores of the game to re-establish their lead.

Limerick fought back and the sides were level three times in the next twenty minutes.

Andrew O’Shaughnessy’s free on 64 minutes pushed Limerick back in front once more and despite having opportunities to level, Dublin couldn’t find the score with Moran’s late sideline putting a gloss on the scoreline for Justin McCarthy’s team.

The post On This Day: Footballers and Hurlers in 2020 action and More! appeared first on Sporting Limerick.