MUNSTER have today confirmed that out-half JJ Hanrahan will depart the province at the season’s end.
The 28-year-old will join Clermont Auvergne on a one year deal with second optional, in a move that was first reported on Thursday evening.
Hanrahan was instrumental in Munster’s win over the French against earlier this year, scoring 24 points off the tee in the comeback victory in the Stade Marcel Michelin.
The Kerry native was unable to help Munster over the line in Saturday’s Pro 14 final loss to Leinster and could potentially play his last game for the club on Saturday in the Champions Cup quarter-final against Toulouse.
He joins CJ Stander and Billy Holland in that regard with the duo announcing their retirements at the season’s end.
Speaking ahead of the move, Hanrahan said,
“It was difficult to hear the news regarding my future with Munster Rugby, however, it has been a dream come true and a privilege to represent my home province and wear the jersey for eight years.
“I have lifelong friends from this club, and I am very proud to represent the people of Munster and in particular the people of Kerry.
“Equally, I believe I am going to a club with very similar traditions and values in Clermont and it’s an opportunity I am extremely excited for.
“Currently my main focus is to give everything I have to the Munster jersey during my time left here in Ireland.”
Head Coach Johann van Graan said,
“JJ is a fantastic player and has been a great servant to Munster Rugby.
“We’ve said from the beginning we want to retain all of our players but unfortunately the harsh realities of what’s happened over the past year have come to a head. Due to the challenges stemming from the Covid landscape we are not in a position to hold onto a player of JJ’s calibre, and we are sorry to see him go.
“While he has a fantastic opportunity ahead of him we still have a job to do here and we look forward to JJ successfully seeing out his time in the red jersey.”