ELECTRIC Ireland have unveiled the 2022 Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars Hurling Team of the Year.
Following their Fitzgibbon Cup success, the Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars 2022 Hurling Team of the Yearfeatures six players from champions, UL, while beaten finalists NUIG have four representatives on the team.
Beaten semi-finalists GMIT and IT Carlow have two representatives each. There is also one player from Electric Ireland Ryan Cup Champions, MTU Kerry, represented.
After the 2021 campaign was cancelled, this season’s performances once again demonstrated the outstanding talent and skill on offer in the Electric Ireland Higher Education Championships as UL claimed their seventh Fitzgibbon Cup with a last gasp victory over NUIG.
MTU Kerry gained promotion from the Electric Ireland Ryan cup after defeating Ulster University in the final.
There is one Limerick player on the team in the form of current Hurler of the Year Cian Lynch who helped Galway to the final before being controversially being red carded, a sending off which was rescinded.
Semi-final and final hero Mikey Kiely is one of six UL players alongside captain Bryan O’Mara, TJ Brennan, Ciaran Connolly, Gearoid O’Connor and Mark Rodgers
2022 Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars Hurling Team of the Year
- Darach Fahy – GMIT, Ardrahan, Galway
- Podge Delaney – IT Carlow, The Harps, Laois
- TJ Brennan – UL, Clarinbridge, Galway
- Jack Fitzpatrick, NUIG, Killimordaly, Galway
- Cianán Fahy – GMIT, Ardrahan, Galway
- Bryan O Mara – UL, Holycross/Ballycahill, Tipperary
- Niall Brassil – IT Carlow, James Stephens, Kilkenny
- Ciaran Connolly – UL, Loughmore/Casteleiney, Tipperary
- Fionán Mackessy – MTU Kerry, St Brendan’s, Kerry
- Cian Lynch – NUIG, Patrickswell, Limerick
- Gearóid O’Connor – UL, Moyne/Templetuohy, Tipperary
- John Fleming – NUIG, Meelick Eyrecourt, Galway
- Mikey Kiely – UL, Abbeyside/Ballinacourty, Waterford
- Mark Rodgers – UL, Scariff, Clare
- Evan Niland – NUIG, Clarinbridge, Galway
Sarah Sharkey, Brand, PR and Sponsorship Manager, Electric Ireland, commented:
“We are delighted to announce the 2022 Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars Hurling Team of the Year and are looking forward to being able to recognise these players’ outstanding performances at the annual Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars Awards Ceremony which will take place later this year. 2022 was another exceptional season and it’s a pleasure to be able to continue our support of these Championships and players.”
This year’s Electric Ireland’s #FirstClassRivals campaign celebrated the unexpected alliances that were formed by County rivals coming together in pursuit of some of the most coveted titles in the GAA.
The Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Stars Football Team of the Year will be unveiled on Monday, 21st March, with the Electric Ireland Higher Education GAA Rising Star Hurling and Football Player of the Year announced on April 4th. These awards will acknowledge one outstanding performance from this year’s Fitzgibbon and Sigerson Cup Championships.
The post UL dominate as Cian Lynch is named on Fitzgibbon Cup Team of the Year appeared first on Sporting Limerick.