Limerick’s Sean Finn has been named the Hurling Personality of the Year for 2021 at the Gaelic Writers’ Association Awards after helping his county to the All-Ireland title.
Finn collected a fourth successive All-Star award as Limerick retained the All-Ireland title for the first time in history.
The Bruff man continued his irresistible form and was nominated for Hurler of the Year alongside teammates Kyle Hayes and Cian Lynch, with the latter winning the award.
“In hurling, Limerick’s relentless corner-back Seán Finn is deservedly named as the Gaelic Writers’ Association Hurling Personality of the Year. Finn, who epitomizes the modern-day defender, was Mr Reliable throughout the provincial and All-Ireland campaigns as the Treaty County swept all before them on their way to claiming a third All-Ireland in four years. A tough man-marker and comfortable in possession, it’s no surprise that Limerick’s rise has coincided with that of the man from Bruff.”
Finn follows in the footsteps of countymen Lynch (2018) and Gearoid Hegarty (2020) who were previous winners of the award.
The Gaelic Writers’ Association Awards recognised the superb contributions by players, media, and officials to Gaelic Games in what was another Championship season that will live long in the memory, as well as honoring the achievements of past players in all four codes.
After helping their respective counties to All-Ireland glory Niall Morgan (Tyrone), Vikkie Wall (Meath) and Niamh Kilkenny (Galway) were also recognised at the event.
The Awards also saw four new inductees into the Hall of Fame, while Kerry’s Leona Twiss won the PRO of the Year Award and veteran Mayo News’ columnist, Sean Rice was recognised with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
*The full list of winners from the Gaelic Writers’ Association Awards, this year supported by Wilson Hartnell, are below: *
- Football Personality of the Year – Niall Morgan (Tyrone)
- Ladies Football Personality of the Year – Vikki Wall (Meath)
- Hurling Personality of the Year – Sean Finn (Limerick)
- Camogie Personality of the Year – Niamh Kilkenny (Galway)
- Football Hall of Fame – Brian McEniff (Donegal)
- Ladies Football Hall of Fame – Aine Wall (Waterford)
- Hurling Hall of Fame – Len Gaynor (Tipperary)
- Camogie Hall of Fame – Margaret O’Leary-Leacy (Wexford)
- PRO of the Year – Leona Twiss (Kerry)
- Lifetime Achievement Award – Sean Rice (Mayo News)
The post Sean Finn honoured at honoured at Gaelic Writers’ Association Awards appeared first on Sporting Limerick.