LIMERICK City and County Council has completed a feasibility study on a proposal to restore a historic mill building in Askeaton as a residential property.
At this month’s Adare/Rathkeale area meeting, local Fianna Fáil councillor Kevin Sheahan was told that the feasibility study was undertaken to assess the condition of the Stone Mill on The Quay in Askeaton.
The study focused on the current state of the structure and asbestos presence, and a preliminary cost plan to refurbish the building as a residential property has been prepared.
“The property has been on the market for sale for a number of months. One offer had been made on the property but was subsequently withdrawn,” a Council spokesperson explained.
The Council has decided to undertake works to protect the building in the interim.
The building stands on the east bank of the River Deel, beside the site of the former Abbey Mills established by the Franciscan friars.
The succession of waterfalls on the river upstream of the town powered the mill which may have served Askeaton Castle from an early date.
The detached four-storey corn mill, built by William Studdert in 1796, was later used as a creamery and has been derelict for a number of years.