Three arrested in connection with death of Kilmallock man released without charge

450
The late Dylan McCarthy

GARDAÍ released without charge three men arrested on Tuesday (September 6) in connection with the death of Kilmallock man Dylan McCarthy, in Co Kildare, on August 22 last.

Mr McCarthy (29) was socialising with family members at a pub in Monasterevin on August 21, when he sustained serious injuries in an alleged assault.

He died from his injuries in hospital the following day.

“As part of the ongoing investigation into the incident of serious assault in Monasterevin, Co. Kildare on 21st August 2022, Gardaí have arrested three men, all aged in their early 20s,” a Garda spokesman said.

Gardaí said they questioned the three males “under Section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act 1984, at multiple Garda Stations in Co Kildare”.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

Later, Gardaí confirmed they released the three males, and that a Garda file on the arrests was to be “prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).”

It will be up to the office of the DPP to decide if Gardaí have enough evidence to charge anyone in connection with Mr McCarthy’s death.

Gardaí previously said that Mr McCarthy had been found unresponsive at the scene and was taken to Tallaght University Hospital where he was pronounced dead on Monday, August 22.

A post mortem was carried out on Mr McCarthy’s body by Chief State Pathologist, Dr Linda Mulligan.

Gardaí said the results of the autopsy would “determine the course of the investigation”, but they did not release information about the cause of death.

Dylan McCarthy’s father, Eamonn, was treated for “serious injuries“ allegedly sustained in the same altercation and was also treated at Tallaght University Hospital.

He was subsequently discharged and attended his son’s funeral.