Dundon fails in bid to adjourn murder trial

605

WayneDundon

LIMERICK crime gang boss Wayne Dundon has failed to secure an adjournment of his trial for the murder of Roy Collins five years ago.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

The 35-year-old from Lenihan Avenue, who is still in custody on a charge of murdering the Limerick businessman, is due to face trial along with 23-year-old Nathan Killeen of Hyde Road on April 29 next.

On April 9, 2009, a gunman entered the Coin Castle Amusement arcade at the Roxboro Road Shopping centre and shot Mr Collins.

Last week, Mr Justice Paul Butler ruled that the possibility that the trial could go beyond the scheduled timeframe was not reason enough to adjourn it.

The court was told that the State was anxious to get on with the trial after hearing from Garda Chief Superintendent David Sheehan of the possibility of threats to prosecution witnesses.  He said that that the protection and safety of those witnesses was  made more difficult as time went by.

He said that Gardaí were aware of certain threats that had been made against proposed prosecution witnesses and “attacks on witness families were very likely”.

According to Chief Superintendent Sheahan. any delays in progressing with the trial would cause a significant strain on resources.

Mr Justice Butler said that the court had to balance the potential danger to life and the absolute duty of the trial court to ensure a fair trial.

Dismissing the application for an adjournment, he said that any disclosure issues could be dealt with in advance with of the scheduled April date for trial.