DOG owners who walk their pets along the Dock Road have been advised to exercise caution after a mystery sign was found claiming that poison and acid had been laid in the area.
The sign, which was placed on a pole near Dolan’s pub, was shared on social media by Limerick Animal Welfare and reads: “S**t dogs beware, poison and acid laid”.
Marion Fitzgibbon, of Limerick Animal Welfare, told the Limerick Post that the organisation has been informed that vets in Limerick city have recently treated dogs that appeared to have been poisoned.
“So far we have no proof of anything, it could be someone putting up a notice to warn people. It could just be somebody who’s annoyed about dog poo on the footpaths,” she said.
“But this is a public area; normally if people lay down poison it’s on their own property. You do hear people saying they’re sick of the footpaths being defiled by dogs, but this is very odd, we’ve never seen something like this before.”
Ms Fitzgibbon concluded: “It’s an offence to lay poison, I don’t know where they’re getting it from. You can’t just buy it over the counter. If you’re walking a dog on a lead, they shouldn’t be able to pick up a foreign substance on the path. We just have to keep our eyes open.”
A Garda spokesperson said that no incidents of dog poisoning in Limerick city had yet been reported to Henry Street gardaí.
This latest pet poisoning scare follows a previous spate of incidents during the summer months in which a number of dogs died in the Clonlara area after allegedly ingesting poison.