Soccer – The Green Machine


Limerick-FC-V-Bluebell-UnitedMay-21,-2016160404A HAT-TRICK from John O’Flynn helped Limerick FC to a comfortable 5-2 win over Leinster Senior League side Bluebell United in their Irish Daily Mail FAI Cup clash at Markets Field on Saturday.
Chris Mulhall opened the scoring for the Super Blues after 13 minutes and Shane Tracy had a penalty saved before O’Flynn hit his treble either side of half-time to put Limerick 4-0 up prior to the 60-minute mark.
Late goals from Sean Byrne and Toyeeb Mustapha allowed Bluebell to take something from their trip to Shannonside, with Paul O’Conor adding the home side’s fifth goal in stoppage time.
Limerick manager Martin Russell spoke of his irritation at the two goals they gave away, but he was quite content with the overall manner in which his team advanced to the last 16.
He said: “We scored five goals and we probably should have had another four or five with our attacking play, so we’re looking at reasons why we didn’t take them. Equally, the goals that we gave up weren’t good enough and they could even have grabbed another one at the end, which is something we have to reflect on.
“We did well today to score five and create numerous chances against Bluebell, because they’re a strong junior side, one of the best in the country, with a lot of league experience in their ranks. We’re cribbing about the goals we conceded, which we have to reflect on, but otherwise we’ve done OK.”
Limerick resume league duties on Sunday afternoon when they travel to Tolka Park to face Shelbourne, the latest team to try and end the Super Blues’ 100 per cent First Division record.
A week later, Russell’s team host Drogheda United in their last game before the mid-table break and the Limerick manager is expecting two tough tests.
“These two games are vital. We want to keep our lead as big as possible and extend it if we can. Shels went to Dundalk last Friday and it was 1-0 for a long time so we know they’re not going to be a walkover by any stretch of the imagination. We’ve got to go to Shels and play really well. That’s the focus now.”
Elsewhere in the second round of the cup, Janesboro booked their place in the last 16 after beating eight-man Sheriff YC 2-1 on Sunday, Aiden Hurley and Arron Nunan scoring for the ’Boro, but Pike Rovers were unable to join them after defeat at Premier Division club St Patrick’s Athletic.