Limerick rugby was well represented by picking up five gongs in total at this year’s Ulster Bank League awards that were held at the Aviva Stadium on Thursday. Garryowen’s Neil Cronin picked up two gongs, Division 1A Player of the Year and Munster Player of the Year.
It topped off a fine season that has seen the scrum half awarded a professional contract with Munster next season.
There were also awards for Cronin’s teammate Liam Coombes. He picked up the Top Try Scorer in Division 1A with an impressive 11 tries.
Old Crescent were also rewarded for their sensational performance in Division 2B. Val McDermott picked up the Player of the Year for that division, while Frank Larkin was named the Ulster Bank P.R.O. of the Year.
Full list of winners from the Ulster Bank League Awards
- Ulster Bank Player of the Year – Division 1A: Neil Cronin, Garryowen FC
- Ulster Bank Top Try Scorer – Division 1A: Liam Coombes, Garryowen FC
- Ulster Bank Top Points Scorer – Division 1A: Scott Deasy, Lansdowne FC
- Ulster Bank Rising Star of the Year – Division 1A: Alex McHenry, Cork Constitution FC
- Ulster Bank Coach of the Year – Division 1A: Mike Ruddock, Lansdowne FC
- Ulster Bank Player of the Year – Division 1B: Paul Kiernan, UCC RFC
- Ulster Bank Player of the Year – Division 2A: Rory Campbell, Malone RFC
- Ulster Bank Player of the Year – Division 2B: Val McDermott, Old Crescent RFC
- Ulster Bank Player of the Year – Division 2C: Shane Boyle, Sligo RFC
- Ulster Bank Club PRO (Public Relations Officer) of the Year: Frank Larkin, Old Crescent RFC
- Ulster Bank Club Volunteer of the Year: Michael Silke, Buccaneers RFC
- #UBLTry of the Year: Daniel McEvoy, Lansdowne FC
Ulster Bank Provincial Players of the Year – voted by the public through Ulster Bank Rugby Social Media
– Connacht Player of the Year: Brian Murphy, Galwegians RFC
– Leinster Player of the Year: Harry Brennan, Lansdowne FC
– Munster Player of the Year: Neil Cronin, Garryowen FC
– Ulster Player of the Year: Andrew Morrison, Banbridge RFC
Speaking at the awards, Carol McMahon, Head of Business Marketing & Sponsorship, Ulster Bank said: “Ulster Bank is extremely proud to support grassroots rugby in Ireland. We understand the commitment and dedication that players, coaches and volunteers give to make their club the best it can be.
“All the nominees tonight are testament to the outstanding talent which has been displayed on countless occasions in clubs across the country throughout the season.
“On behalf of Ulster Bank, I would like to congratulate all the nominees, all the winners and the club members for a very successful season.”
IRFU President Philip Orr commented, “The Ulster Bank League allows clubs to showcase their talent, their communities and the values rugby represents.
“These awards are a welcome recognition of the dedication and commitment of not just the players but the volunteers in our clubs that represent the bedrock of our game.
“On behalf of the IRFU I would like to congratulate the individual winners and their clubs and express our gratitude to Ulster Bank for their continuing support of our national Club competition.”