€3.72 million to improve housing for older and disabled Limerick people

Housing Ministeer Darragh O'Brien

€3.72 million in funding has been allocated for Housing Adaptation Grants for Older People and People with a Disability living in Limerick.

The allocation is an increase of €286,875 on 2021 and continues the year-on-year increases in the grant since 2014.

Grants of up to €30,000 are available to assist disabled people in carrying out necessary works to make a house more suitable for their needs. Additionally, grants of up to €8,000 are available to assist older people to have necessary repairs or improvements carried out on their homes and grants of up to €6,000 are available for mobility aids.

Housing Minister Darragh O’Brien said he was delighted to be in a position to allocate increased funding to Limerick City and County Council so that they can continue to support older people and disabled people to live independently in Limerick.

“Importantly, home adaptations help reduce the dependency on our health services by supporting independent living for as long as possible and in other instances facilitate an early return from hospital, taking pressure off already over-burdened services,” Mr O’Brien explained.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

“These grants will also provide a boost to Limerick’s economy, creating employment opportunities for local contractors.”

Minister of State Peter Burke, who has responsibility for housing for older and disabled people, said the grants have a huge impact on the quality of life of the many beneficiaries in Limerick.

“They also play a vitally important role in helping disabled people and people who are reaching an age in life when they are less mobile, to continue to live independently in their own homes.

The grants are 80 per cent funded by the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage, with the remaining 20 per cent coming from Limerick City and County Council.