Infatuated man showered Limerick businesswoman with unwanted gifts and messages

Judge Patricia Harney

A DELIVERY driver who became obsessed with a Limerick woman, sending her gifts and contacting her and her family over a two-year period, was arrested after he breached a court order to stay out of the city.

Ruslan Nitsyn (46) with an address at Red Arches Drive, Baldoyle, Dublin, is under a court order which constrains him from making any contact with Gillian McCarthy, who lives in Limerick and has a business at the Clarina Equestrian Centre.

A previous court sitting heard that Mr Nitsyn met Ms McCarthy while delivering goods to the equestrian centre and subsequently showered her with messages, sending gifts to her workplace and even contacting members of her family.

Presiding over Limerick District Court, Judge Patricia Harney heard that Mr Nitsyn was arrested after he was spotted in Limerick City in contravention of the order.

Mr Nitsyn had an interpreter in court. His solicitor told the judge that he had abided by the court order since it was imposed nine months ago and had only come to Limerick to visit some Ukrainian refugees here.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

His solicitor told the court that after his arrest and having heard what Ms McCarthy had said in her victim impact statement at the original hearing, Mr Nitsyn is “embarassed and shocked and he apologises to her”.

“An infatuation ensued but he has never been aggressive in his behaviour and he has no previous convictions. This is the first time he has been in custody,” the solicitor said.

But Judge Harney responded: “He was charged and brought to the courts. Does he understand how serious this is? This was a terrifying experience for her and her family, the guards – everyone got involved.”

“There are Ukrainian refugees all over the country he could visit. He lives in Dublin yet he comes to the one place that it just happens he was told to stay away from. I don’t believe a word of it.”

Judge Harney convicted Mr Nitsyn and imposed a three-month sentence, suspended for two years on condition that he stay out of Limerick and have no contact with the victim in the case.