
A MAN charged with having a sawn-off shotgun in Limerick was remanded in custody after he appeared before a special court sitting on Saturday (August 30).
Gardaรญ brought Liam ‘Lika’ Casey before Limerick District Court, where he was charged in connection with a Garda investigation into gunshots fired at a house in the city last year.
Mr Casey (42), with an address at Hyde Road, Prospect, did not speak during the brief hearing in front of Judge Fiona Brennan.
Mr Casey was charged with possessing a twelve-gauge, double-barrelled, sawn-off shotgun, with intent to commit an indictable criminal offence.
The charge, contrary to Section 27(B) of the Firearms Act 1964, carries a maximum sentence of 14 years in prison on conviction.
Mr Casey is accused of having the gun at Meagher Avenue, Priorโs Land, Limerick, located just off Hyde Road, Ballinacurra Weston, on November 8, 2024.
Garda Seรกn OโConnor, Roxboro Road Garda Station, told the court he arrested and charged Mr Casey on August 29.
Garda OโConnor gave evidence that Mr Casey made no reply to the charge.
Gardaรญ told Judge Brennan they were opposed to Mr Casey being granted bail.
Mr Caseyโs solicitor, Tom Kiely, Kiely McCarthy Solicitors, told the court Mr Casey was not seeking bail.
Gardaรญ said they were awaiting further directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in the case.
Mr Kiely said Mr Casey was โin receipt of social welfareโ and would require free legal aid.
The court granted Mr Kielyโs application for legal aid on behalf of the accused.
Mr Casey was embraced by family members before he was remanded in custody.
He was remanded to appear before Limerick District Court again on September 2 for further directions from the DPP.
– Court Reporting Scheme