Pike take the spoils in dramatic comeback


Screen shot 2015-01-22 at 10.31.44PIKE Rovers moved up to second in the Kilmurry Lodge Premier League after an enthralling 4-3 win against Fairview Rangers.
John Okoro had given the Hoops an early lead before Eddie Byrnes equalised and two goals from Christy Doyle put the ‘View into a commanding 3-1 advantage with 20 minutes left.
Colm Enright pulled one back before Dave Ryan tied the match once more. In stoppage time, Pat Mullins completed the incredible turnaround to seal the points in dramatic fashion. Fairview also had Jeffrey Judge sent off in the closing stages.
Sunday’s other Premier encounter saw Carew Park open up a three-point lead at the top of the league after they dispatched Summerville Rovers 5-2.
Kuba Domanski had given the home side the lead before Barry Dillon’s leveller and an Alex Assouiss double put Carew in the driving seat. Mark Keane halved the deficit, only for Darren O’Sullivan’s brace to later extend Carew’s margin of victory.
In the Munster Junior Cup, FAI Junior survivors Moyross had a day to forget, a 5-0 loss to Abbeyfeale leaving them to concentrate on league action and the national cup competition.
Nine-man Geraldines fell by a single goal to St Michael’s while Newport were vanquished 6-1 by Clonmel Celtic.
There was progress to the last 16, though, for Regional United, who will now meet Janesboro after beating Ringmahon 1-0 thanks to Kieran O’Connell’s second half penalty.
Mungret Regional also marched on after they won 3-0 away to Midleton, with Barry Danagher netting a hat-trick.
In the Lawson Cup, holders Janesboro had a hard-fought 3-1 win over Kilfinane while Corbally United needed penalties to dispatch Caherconlish.
Aisling Annacotty won 4-0 at St Patrick’s, Knockainey had a narrow 2-1 win in Kilmallock and Wembley Rovers beat Caherdavin Celtic 5-1.
There were also wins for Charleville (5-3 v Southend), Murroe (6-0 v Athlunkard) and Herbertstown (1-0 after extra time v Castle Rovers).

by Liam Togher