Dramatic Munster Cup final win for Young Munster

Young Munster Conor Hayes scores a try that was later disallowed in last night's Munster Cup final.

A PENALTY from the ice-cool Conor Hayes deep into stoppage time earned Young Munster a dramatic 27-24 win over Nenagh Ormond in the Munster Senior Cup final in front of an exceptionally large crowd at Thomond Park.

In an impressive outing, Hayes landed two penalties, and also kicked two conversions. 

The outcome ensures the prized trophy remains at Tom Clifford Park, and with it a third competition success on the trot for The Cookies. 

It was heartbreak for the Tipperary outfit who stayed in the game right to the finish.

Nenagh made a great start with a try from John Hayes, but the holders hit back immediately with a try from Ronán O’Sullivan and Evan Cusack’s conversion put the Limerick side ahead 7-5.

Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter

A second try by David Gleeson edged Nenagh back in front but a Cusack penalty tied the scores on the half-hour mark.

A try by Nicky Irwin converted by Patrick Scully gave Nenagh a 17-10 half-time lead.

A few minutes into the second half, a try by John Healy converted by Scully extended the Tipperary side‘s lead to 24-10.

Ten minutes from time, Alan Kennedy-captained Young Munster got back into the game when they were awarded a penalty try.

Entering added time substitute James Horrigan touched down and Conor Hayes’ conversion tied the scores.

Nenagh had an opportunity to take the lead in the dying moments but a penalty attempt agonisingly came off the upright.

With extra time looming Hayes grabbed victory with the last kick of the game.

Young Munster: Patrick Campbell; Conor Hayes, Harry Fleming, Luke Fitzgerald, Shay McCarthy; Evan Cusack, Jack Lyons; David Begley, George Jacobs, Conor Bartley; Sean Rigney, Alan Kennedy (captain); Bailey Faloon, Ronán O’Sullivan, John Foley.

Replacements: Mark O’Mara, Paul Allen, Conor Moloney, James Horrigan, Donnchadh O’Callaghan, Werner Hoffman, Stephen Lyons.

Nenagh Ormond: Josh Rowland; Patrick Scully, Willie Coffey (captain), John Healy, David Gleeson; Derek Corcoran, Nicky Irwin; Mikey Doran, Dylan Murphy, Jack O’Keeffe; Jake O’Kelly, Kevin O’Flaherty; Robert Buckley, John O’Flaherty, John Hayes.

Replacements: Peter O’Connor, Sean Frawley, Evan Murphy, Joseph Coffey, John Brislane, Conor O’Brien, Cian Ryan.

Referee: Shane Kierans (MAR).