
THE SUSPECT in an investigation into an alleged kidnap and horrific attack on two sex workers in Limerick has been found dead, it has been confirmed.
This comes alongside reports of a worrying increase in vulnerable female sex workers in Limerick City being subjected to violent sexual assaults over the past several months, sources close a number of sex workers locally said.
The revelation comes after it emerged two female sex workers were allegedly held against their will at a premises near the city centre, where they were physically and sexually assaulted over several hours between last Sunday night and Monday morning.
GardaĆ said they were āinvestigating allegations of assault involving two female injured partiesā and that the suspect, an Irish man, had been found dead and a file was being prepared for the local coroner.
āAn Garda SĆochĆ”na is following a definite line of enquiry on this investigation and there is no ongoing risk to public safety,ā GardaĆ added.
One theory GardaĆ were examining was that the suspect initially held one woman at the premises before bringing the second woman back to the facility and then subjected them to a terrifying attack.
āHe may have been looking for a third woman,ā a source added.
A source close to women working in the street sex trade in Limerick said they were aware of concerns among the women of a pattern of similar attacks occurring in Limerick City āover the past 10 monthsā.
āItās been going on quite a while now, where women are picked up off the street and taken to locations outside the city and held overnight and treated horrendously before they are released back onto the street again,ā the source explained.
They said that many of the alleged attacks were not reported to GardaĆ due to the women being āvulnerable and suffering from severe traumaā.
āThey have been picked up and physically and sexually assaulted for hours on end, sometimes they do not know the specific location of where they are.
āThere is still a lot of stigma and shame associated with working on the street, these women are very vulnerable so it is harder for them to report these incidents.
āSome of the women working on the street are also entrenched in addiction and homelessness and are in need of support.ā
Barbara Condon, chief executive of Ruhama, which offers nationwide supports to women impacted by sex trafficking and other forms of sexual exploitation, said the charity was āhorrified and deeply concerned by the news of the violent attack on two women in Limerickā.
āWe hope the women concerned are accessing all the necessary supports,ā Ms Condon said.
Ms Condon said Ruhama was āvery worried about the increase in the level of violence against women involved in the sex trade being reported in recent yearsā.
āIt is vital that victims impacted by prostitution and commercial sexual exploitation receive adequate support and that justice is pursued to prosecute violent perpetrators.
āRuhama has a support hub in Limerick, if anyone has been impacted by this incident, please contact us on freephone 1800 020 202,ā Ms Condon added.
The group also operates a free text support service, which can be availed of by texting REACH to 50100.
A Garda spokeswoman said they would make enquiries into the allegations of similar attacks having happened in Limerick.


